Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 14 - availability and cost of nutrition

So, I got that job I interviewed for last week, yay! I've been having a pretty in-depth discussion about nutrition availability on Facebook with Cody Heitschmit. More about this later - I've got to go in and sign all that "yay you have a job" paperwork.

Breakfast (11:30 a.m.):
1 1/2 c. Special K Red Berries Cereal
1 c. skim milk

Coffee (12:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.)
4 c. coffee
3 oz heavy cream

Yes, I've had 4 cups of coffee in an hour and a half window. Insert pscychotic twitchy grin here: O.o

Snack (3:30 p.m.)
1/2 c. low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon honey.

Back to this nutrition discussion. It was prompted by a column in the Hutchinson News. In the article, the author expresses dismay at seeing a family using a Vision card (food stamp money) to buy pop, candy and other non-nutritional items. He goes on to ponder about how to ensure that food stamp funds are providing nutrition to low income families instead of paying for nutritionally deficient items.

The main focus of the article was on the items being purchased, how to limit the use of government funds to purchase non-nutritional food, and how to educate people who use these benefits about proper nutrition. However, one point stuck out at me - the author seemed to be dismayed that food stamp users were purchasing food at a convenince store "at convenience store prices." Admitedly, in Hutchinson, Kansas, grocery stores are very accessible, even in low-income neighborhoods, and shopping at Kwik Shop is probably unnecessary.

In the discussion, I brought up the fact that in many parts of the country, people do not have easy access to nutritious food. In many urban areas (and, after futher digging, rural areas, too), low-income people may live over 1 mile from a large grocery store or supermarket. For people who cannot drive, it can be difficult for them to get access to affordable, nutritious food. Many convenience stores carry bread, milk, eggs, and canned goods, but there is a lack of availability of fresh fruit and vegetables.

In discussions about nutrition, we often focus on what people are or are not eating. Sometimes, we have to look at the availability of nutritious foods. Are fruits and vegetables available at affordable prices in all communities? Unfortunately, in some places the answer is no. In many areas groups have organized community gardens in these areas and have encouraged small corner stores to increase the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables. However, it is difficult for small, non-chain stores to provide fresh produce at low prices because they do not have access to the bargaining power and bulk prices that large supermarket chains do.

I think Jason Probst's article brings up some important issues about nutrition. Our country is facing a health and nutrition crisis, and we are getting to a point where we have to have a very serous conversation at the national level about how to provide actual nutrition to our low income population rather than subsidising eating habits that lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

Beyond government assistance, we will need to have an in-depth discussion about how we teach our children about nutrition and how to promote healthy lifestyles among our entire population. It may sound cliche, but obesity IS an epidemic which leads to lost income, lost productivity, and ultimately loss of life. In order for us as a nation to live quality lives and be productive, nutrition needs to be a priority and not an afterthought.

On a different note...

As some of you may know, I have been unemployed/temporarily employed/under-employed for about 6 1/2 months after resigning from the City of Hutchinson in order to explore different career options. I've been trying to get my own business doing event planning and providing personal chef services off the ground, but it will be a long time before that business is profitable enough to pay all the bills. A few weeks ago I started job hunting. I took the first offer that was given to me because I am running out of savings very fast. The schedule is part time and will allow me to continue working on the business if I so choose or take on another part time job. However, it will be a long time before I am earning anything near the income I was earning at the City of Hutchinson.

I have made some minor adjustments in my spending and lifestyle over the summer. However, because my personal long-term economic forecast is grim, I need to buckle down and cut costs. Nutrition is a priorty to me and I will continue to purchase nutritious foods. Although many people think that processed foods are cheaper, prices are often similar or lower for homemade foods made "from scratch." Oftentimes, the real hang up is the time needed to prepare healthy food from scratch. Dry beans need to soak for several hours or overnight. Bread has to rise, a whole chicken needs 1 1/2 to 2 hours of cooking time versus 20-30 minutes for boneless skinless chicken breasts. However, planning and dedication can ensure that you get the most nutrition for your money.

Friday night I went to the grocery store. I spent $43.67 on about a week's worth of food. I may need to go back for a specific ingredient, but that constitutes the bulk of my grocery shopping. Albeit, I am only one person...but still, a week's worth of groceries for under $50 per person is not bad. Keep in mind that I have other staples that will round out my meals, but those are often incorporated into my regular weekly shopping.

What can $43.67 get you (from Dillons on 30th)?
5 pounds of apples
1 large head of cauliflower
1.65 pounds of broccoli crowns
2 cloves of garlic, 2 pounds of carrots
1 bunch of celery, 2 yellow onions, one red onion
1 two-pound tub of Dannon low-fat plain yogurt
1 carton (20 tea bags) Twinning's Decaf Earl Grey tea
1 carton (20 tea bags) Stash English Breakfast tea
2 whole chickens (one for the freezer to be used at a later date)
1 loaf Dillon's sliced wheat bread
1 gallon of skim milk
1 package (8 cubes) of vegetable bullion

If I had not bought the teas (just drink water or the coffee I have), bullion (make my own vegetable stock) or the 2nd chicken (purchase at a later date), then my grocery bill for the week would have been about $30.37. By cooking with whole, unprocessed foods, I am able to eat a healthy, low-cost diet.

Dinner (5:45 p.m.):
3 c. steamed white rice
1 1/2 c. broccoli flowerets
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
3 slices bacon
(everything was combined together - kind of a one-bowl meal)

Snack (8:45 p.m.):
2 oz roasted almonds

Snack (9:30 p.m.):
1 teaspoon salted caramel sauce
1 c. skim milk

Final calorie count for the day: 2208.

It just so happens that my first day at my new job is tomorrow...which is also the department "bring stuff to work for someone's birthday/because we feel like it" day. I made an apple galette with salted caramel sauce and couldn't resist sneaking a spoonfull of the caramel. I hope my offering of sugary goodness will win me brownie points with the new co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment